Monday, January 29, 2007
America, I want to make a couple of points about Mr Beckham and his recent move to Los Angeles.
1. This move is motivated by money. Not greed exactly but money. I think there is a difference but I don't think it's about educating America about football. If he was seriously into helping the children of the world and healing through ballskills he'd be running a soccer camp in Africa.
2. Beckham, whilst still a world class player, is on the fast downward trajectory of his career. If he was at all serious about his playing he would not have come to America (no offense intended). Had he made this move 10 years ago it would have been incredible, unbelieveable and very, very silly.
3. His wife wants a movie career. Nothing wrong with that. Her career has been on hold for the past few years, Now it's his turn to hold the baby. I can't wait to see the results.
4. He's a nice guy, I've met him. Nice fella.
5. He will not play for the USA in the next World Cup. Firstly, he has retired from International football. He wont be playing for anyone in the next World Cup.
Soccer at the highest level operates in a couple of different spheres. The club (you play for them every week and they pay your wages). You can play for any club, anywhere in the world, hence Beckham the Englishman playing for Real Madrid and now L.A. Whatever. And the Country. You play for them in World Cup games. You continue to play for them regardless of where in the world you live or play your club football. He'll always be an Englishman, therefore in theory he could always play for England.
6. The English (and I'm speaking for a nation here so listen up) are not worried that he's gone. He left us years ago to play in Spain and has retired from International football so he's no longer an issue as far as the England team is concerned. Next.
7. He's not going to make a run for the White House. He's not eligible. See #5.