Monday, November 27, 2006

Of course!!

It had been bugging me for a while, since yesterday actually . Who was the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the 1974-79 Labour government? Was there more than one or was it just one person?

Such things rattled about in my brain as I tried to think of what the hell to write about in order to clear the 'Thanksgiving" post from the top bumper.

I was trying to work out a British equal to Walter Mondale.

In desperation I had to resort to Google.

Of Course!

Denis Healey!

His political career follows many a similar path to our favourite Veep, in power in the second half of the seventies, vocal yet impotent in the first half of the eighties. Fought right wing iconoclasts and lost, badly.


1 comment:

Wisdom Weasel said...

I always thought Dennis would have made a great BBC cricket commentator. I also recently had the pleasure of listening to a programme by his son about soldier's songs through the ages that featured the former Chancellor belting out some incredibly foul-mouthed marching ditties.