Wednesday, August 10, 2005

More drunk vacation blogging.

Does it get any better than this?
Today I played at being "farmer Bowles".
The orchard needed mowing (our hosts had left this for me as they know how much I love driving tractors).
I fired the old girl up in the barn, searched hopelessly for the hay bin (it collects the grass from behind the mowing gear) but instead decided to go ahead without it.
I spent about an hour ducking near fatal apple tree branches as I mowed away to my hearts content!
The only thing is that now the orchard is full of big piles of grass (oh hay bin, where art thou??)
It took me about 2 hours to hand rake the grass, pitch it into the trailer and deposit it into the compost/horse shit pile.

I managed to clear about 1/10 of the orchard.

Tomorrow looks like being a busy day.

Other news....
I have fleeced my parent's house for old CDs and have harvested a cracking bunch including some old Cowboy Junkies (per-fuckin-fect for the Norfolk summer), some early Super Furry Animals (listened to as we speak) and some Noel Coward (we danced to him last night).
I have also found out that the cottage's grill doesn't work (sort of inconvienient as we have invited 20 people over for a grill fest tomorrow night).
The place is still full of bugs and wierd wildlife.
We are drinking too much on a daily basis. Perhaps three weeks is too long for a foreign vacation? No, it's great!
Ms random doubt has become an expert on the different items of agricultural machinery that pass along our narrow country lanes at super high speeds (sometimes causing us to duck the Saab into the nearest possible gap in the fields).
Wheat is in, barley is taking a week or two longer.

3 comments:

Wisdom Weasel said...

Yew wornt to get yer winter wheat in, bor. As the ole Norfolk sayin goes:
"When the days grow shorter and the the swallows flee,
Its time to apply for an EU subsidy."

Gosh, I'm jealous of Captain Tractor. Hope Beth got piccies.

Wisdom Weasel said...

By the way, when are you getting home? I'm bored.

PiesFan90 said...

You won't be doing any work, you'll be watching that match in Manchester.
I also hear the Premier League starts tomorrow. So much sport, so little time.